Yesterday I went hiking with my parents for the first time! It was a complete spur-of-the-moment thing, apparently. My mom woke me up yesterday around 1 and said my dad wanted to go out to this hiking place all of a sudden. I didn't really want to go, because I've never had an interest in going hiking, but I dragged myself out of bed and got dressed anyway.
It took forever just to find the place. The GPS got the location all wrong, so we had to go and look for it ourselves. It's actually a very easy place to miss; the turn that takes you into the parking area is very small and practically hidden. It was a bit crowded, but because the actual hiking area was so huge, it was a little uncommon to run into anyone else.
On a little noticeboard before you head towards one of the trails (I believe there were three), there was a map of the area, which was huge. But there were also two notices about things to be wary of; Snakes and black bears. Naturally I totally started freaking out, because I wanted to hike and enjoy nature, not be attacked or even have to see snakes and black bears. Thankfully, during our hiking, we only came across a lot of daddy long leg spiders. No snakes or bears! (Though we did run into a family who said they found a huge snake on one of the other trails.)
The trails were very scenic, obviously. The higher up you went, the better views you had of what was around. Our first destination was to get to this thing called a pillar rock near the top of the mountain, but my mom didn't want to walk up that high, so we turned and went down the orange trail, towards a reservoir. We also didn't make it there, even though we were close, because honestly I was starting to chicken out a little bit. I was tired of all the bugs and I was terrified about running into a snake or bear.
The downside to the entire trip was that because there were so many rocks and trees and shit to watch out for, I could barely look to see what was around me. I was basically looking down at the ground in front of me the entire time, unless I stopped walking. Which I tried not to do, because I didn't want some bug crawling up on me. This resulted in me being able to get only two photos of the entire thing.
That was a really pretty river towards the start of the hike.
Look at that awesome quality! *sarcasm* I'm not sure what I was trying to take a picture of. But a photo is a photo. Even though I wasn't all that thrilled at first about going hiking, it turned out to be a pretty decent trip. And then we put back on the 300 calories we burned walking by going to get some Dairy Queen.


No comments:
Post a Comment