Friday, July 6, 2012

"Nu-goth" and "Pastel Goth"

I, being the style-addict I am, have been closely following these style trends called "pastel/bubblegum goth" and "nu-goth". I've seen about an equal amount of love and hate for it, and I personally stand on the "love" side. 


Just go on tumblr and you'll find oodles of photos of girls with pastel-colored or bleached hair, wearing funky, inverted-cross adorned clothes. (Before you go all ape, inverted crosses are not satanic. Technically it's a holy symbol, but as I prefer to look at it, only people apply meaning to symbols. So take it or leave it.) The clothes are typically in pastel colors, and the style of the clothes seem to have fused nicely with typical goth fashion staples, such as leather vests and shirts with bones or studs. And the best part is that it looks damn classy.


an example of how quirky the style can be. credit to waititsfashion@tumblr
Sure, it's quirky, but I personally love it.


Another thing that helps to define the style is the common use of either regular or inverted crosses, and sometimes logos such as dolls and cats. Yes, cats. 


Moving on to the "nu-goth" style, this is definitely another style that has a lot of lovers and haters. Again, I stand with the lovers. I was never a big fan of the goth style, because I personally don't like those super baggy pants, super dark makeup, and chains and skulls and bones and spikes everywhere. Nu-goth is essentially taking elements of goth style and making them into a classy, toned-down version. 
credit to anikachu@tumblr


It can be difficult to exactly describe pastel goth and nu-goth, because they can both have elements of each other in them.
credit to unpronounceable-girl@tumblr
Of course, majority of the haters on these two style are people who say things like "This isn't goth." Style changes, get over it lah. We don't dress like the flapper girls did back in the 1920s. I consider these two styles to be subtypes of goth, but they could also be considered completely new styles on their own. This style clearly isn't popular in the celebrity world, but it's slowly starting to break into the high-fashion market, judging from some of the models walking down the runway.


There are some stores that cater to these styles, the first two coming to mind being glitterhell and nikkilipstick. There are also some online personalities that closely follow the style, a great example being Felice Fawn.  
Another good blog post about these styles can be found on Maggie's blog, maggiemunster.blogspot.com. She also discusses more about internet personalities who follow the styles.

No comments: